Did you know?

Only 9.02% of the U.S. population traveled to an overseas destination, excluding Canada and Mexico, from 1989-1999 (Office of Travel and Tourism Industries).



Monday, February 4, 2008

Mid-Year Conference: Kiev, Ukraine

My journey to Kiev began on January 30th at 6:10am and included a 10-minute walk to the train station, a 6-hour train ride from Grodno to Minsk, a ride across Minsk on the metro, another 10-minute walk to the bus station, a 45-minute bus ride to the airport, a 1-hour plane ride from Minsk to Kiev, and finally a 20-minute taxi ride. Whew! It was almost 9:30pm when I arrived at the Hotel Ukraine and I was starving. Luckily, I spotted some colleagues and joined them for a late dinner.

The Mid-Year Conference began the next morning around 9:30, after everyone had made it past the U.S. Embassy security. We spent all day talking about how we could make our projects more sustainable, trouble-shooting common problems, and learning about other U.S.-sponsored programs. That evening the Public Affairs Officer and her husband had a reception for us at their flat. It was nice, but I didn’t get enough to eat so afterward a few of us went looking for a café. Kiev is a big, urban city and I assumed it would have a healthy nightlife, but every place we found had already closed at 10:30pm or was getting ready to close at 11:00pm! Once again luck was on my side as I had bought a few bananas and some water at the market earlier, or I would’ve gone to bed hungry.

On Friday morning the sun came out but we missed it as we were trapped inside the embassy all day. They even closed the thick curtains so we wouldn’t be distracted… no fair! At least the second day of the conference was more intriguing. We all had a chance to talk about our projects and several people gave formal presentations. It was really interesting as there were Fellows from the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine. The U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine visited with us for about an hour in the afternoon, and then we wrapped things up.

Later that night a bunch of us went to see the ballet version of “Master and Margarita” by Mikhail Bulgakov. My friends in Grodno had told me about this book, which was banned during Soviet times, so I was very curious. To the best of my knowledge, it’s a satire based on the devil’s visit to the atheist USSR and is full of cultural innuendo. Not knowing the story didn’t bother me one bit as the costumes, music, and sets were incredible. It was definitely not your traditional ballet!

Saturday was our only free day and of course it was cold and cloudy. A few of us decided to hang out together and do some sightseeing. We visited the Lavra, which is a Ukrainian Orthodox monastery founded in 1051. Many people call it a “city in the city” because there are several streets circling the old churches and monastery buildings. The highlight was going underground to visit the two “cave churches.” The monks used to meditate in these caves and many of their mummified remains are now on display. The bodies are wrapped in fabric but they are in glass coffins, and each has an oil burning candle hanging over it. My friends saw a few finger bones poking out, but I hadn’t looked that closely.

After a late lunch we went to St. Sophia’s Cathedral, which is the oldest surviving church in Kiev (1037). Nowadays, the church is a museum so we were able to walk around and explore. The inside is gorgeous as there are original mosaics and frescos that date back to the 11th century. And I instantly fell in love with the color palette and patterns: rich terra cotta with deep blue and green accents. It felt so warm and cozy, and the golden altars and mosaics really stood out. Too bad cameras were not allowed, although I did buy a guidebook for $3 so I could remember the color combinations.

After a quick shower, it was back to the opera house for “Madame Butterfly.” We couldn’t resist as the tickets were so affordable ($10-15 USD), and just being inside the opera house was a treat. I wasn’t as impressed with the opera, but it was still a nice, cultural experience.

On Sunday, February 3rd, it was time for another travel day. I managed to ride on even more vehicles on my way back to Grodno, which means I set a new personal record! Check it out and remember that I had my luggage with me the entire time: I walked a few blocks from the Hotel Ukraine to the metro, I took the metro to the train station, then a bus to the airport, then flew back to Minsk. Then I took the bus from the airport to the bus station, walked 10 minutes to the metro station, took the metro across town to the train station, waited around for 2 hours, took the 6-hour train from Minsk to Grodno, then finished the night with a 10-minute walk to my flat. I didn’t even have the energy to go to the store for milk, but went right to sleep.

Overall the trip was enjoyable, although I never had any free, alone time to walk around and take pictures. Everyone kept saying “You must come back in the springtime, it is so beautiful!” I wouldn’t mind going back as Kiev is a wonderful, ancient city. There are so many places to visit and I just scratched the surface. (Go to "My Trip to Kiev" under My Photos.)