Did you know?

Only 9.02% of the U.S. population traveled to an overseas destination, excluding Canada and Mexico, from 1989-1999 (Office of Travel and Tourism Industries).



Thursday, March 27, 2008

U.S. Embassy Staff Leave Belarus

The U.S. Embassy staff in Minsk was reduced from 30 to 17 people today. This reduction included the Public Affairs Section (PAS), which oversees U.S. educational initiatives such as the English Language Fellow and Fulbright Programs.

At this time, we were told that our programs were not at risk and to continue business as usual. However, we were instructed to be extra aware of our surroundings and to avoid any meetings or gatherings that could be considered political.

We (the remaining 6 American educators) were all very concerned as our main contact at the U.S. Embassy was gone, and out of reach. Not to mention the recent violence at the demonstration in Minsk and the KGB's accusation of an American spy-ring at the U.S. Embassy. It was even worse for me as I was the sole American in Grodno! My friends invited me to come to Minsk for the weekend, but I didn't want to miss my American Corner meeting on Sunday. Besides, I had a ton of lesson plans to prepare for the following week.