Did you know?

Only 9.02% of the U.S. population traveled to an overseas destination, excluding Canada and Mexico, from 1989-1999 (Office of Travel and Tourism Industries).



Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My Flat via Google Earth


See the red box at the bottom edge of the page? That's my apartment, I mean that's my "flat," as I have been corrected several times. Everyone speaks British English here, so I have become very aware of my "ds" in butter, later, thirty, water, etc. It may also have something to do with the American English class I am teaching. It sounded easy enough until I learned I had to compare and contrast American and British English!! Uugh! I don't know British English and I really don't want to. It could have something to do with a little war that happened back in 1776 :-) Anyway, now that I've started the class it isn't so bad and it's actually kinda fun pretending to be a Brit.

Speaking of accents and nationalities, a few days ago someone told me I have a Polish accent when I speak Russian. But many other people have commented that I have excellent Russian pronunciation, which makes me feel great! And last night someone else told me I looked Russian and asked if I have any Russian ancestors. Funny, huh? Let's just hope it was a compliment...

BTW, I've been in Belarus for 2 months and so far I'm doing okay. I have learned enough Russian to get around town, albeit with a few bumps along the way; to buy food in the open-air markets; and to navigate my way around the university. I've also managed to make several friends and this is something I'm very proud of as many foreigners shy away from the locals. Don't get me wrong, there are days when I hide inside the comfort of my flat. It's not easy being the only Amerikanka in town! Some days are really hard and sometimes they come one after another. But there are other days when I feel great, when I learn something new, when I'm successful in the market, or when I make my students laugh. So far my Fellowship has been a very humbling, life changing experience and I can only imagine what the next 8 months will bring...

1 comment:

BEING HAD said...

Hi. I really like your blog and have covered it for the second time for the BEING HAD Times I am really interested in your teaching situation. Are you working for the schools or for a private English school? I also would like to know if you have received any problems with the Ministry of Education or from the local bureaucracy. In any case, please accept a belated welcome from Pinsk and good luck for the next 10 months.