Did you know?

Only 9.02% of the U.S. population traveled to an overseas destination, excluding Canada and Mexico, from 1989-1999 (Office of Travel and Tourism Industries).



Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

On October 30th and 31st, I went to school dressed like a witch and carried my glowing jack-o-lantern through the hallways (that's me on the far right). Keep in mind that people don’t celebrate Halloween in Belarus, so you can image all the strange looks and stares! One energetic, creative class threw a Halloween Party and they invited me to join them! It sure felt nice being with other people in costumes, if only for an hour. After the party, I entertained several other classes by sharing what I know about the holiday’s ancient origins and its modern day celebration, including a slideshow with photos I had collected from my family and friends. The students loved seeing how we celebrate Halloween as it’s hard for them to get a grip on how big the holiday really is for us. I imagine it does sound quite strange to them: people dress up like dead people and monsters and decorate their homes, schools, and offices with skeletons, ghosts, witches, spiders, and black cats! I had a great time and was enjoying all the attention until I started to walk home. In addition to spooking countless unsuspecting people on the street, I managed to spook a stray dog who growled and barked at me all the way home. Luckily, I was able to cross the street and hide in a crowd of people who were walking my direction. I made it home in one piece, but it sure was a creepy Halloween experience! I’ll post more pictures under “My Photos.”