Did you know?

Only 9.02% of the U.S. population traveled to an overseas destination, excluding Canada and Mexico, from 1989-1999 (Office of Travel and Tourism Industries).



Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Name This Fruit

Does anyone know the name of this fruit? I didn't until my landlord's father (Yevgeny) brought me a big bag of them. It is called a quince and is very common in jams and preserves. Yevgeny has a quince tree at his "dacha" and they are in season this month, hence the gift. A dacha is a small piece of land just outside of town where families have their own vegetable gardens. Most people also have a small cottage so they can spend the night, especially during planting and harvest times. The majority of my friends' families have a dacha, although many young people try to avoid digging in the dirt... much to their parents' dismay. There is a good chance I will visit my friend's dacha this weekend, as her parents are always looking for extra helpers :-) So I will post some dacha photos soon. About the jam, as most people have their own gardens many people still make their own preserves and can vegetables for the winter. My coworkers were quite surprised when I told them I had no clue how to make my own jam! Also, even though most people live in huge blocks of apartments, they still have root cellars in the basement where they can store veggies during the winter. If you want locally grown, natural, organic foods without paying Whole Foods' prices, then come to Belarus!