Did you know?

Only 9.02% of the U.S. population traveled to an overseas destination, excluding Canada and Mexico, from 1989-1999 (Office of Travel and Tourism Industries).



Tuesday, October 2, 2007

My First-Year Students

I started teaching the week of September 17th and so far the students have been great! They stand up when I walk into the room and call me Ms. Graham, imagine that. For the most part they are quite expressive and many of them are very fluent in British English, even the first-year students! It is common for students to study English before they come to university, and some of them attended special language schools. All of my classes so far have been called the “Practice of English,” which is a fancy way of saying English Conversation. The good thing is that I don’t have to teach grammar, grade papers, or give exams. The bad thing is that each week I have new students and new topics, basically I just take over other teachers' classes. So I never get to learn all of their names, or get to know them very well. Although some of them are anxious to hang out with me and I’ve already made a few friends. My plan is to take a photo of each class, look under "my photos."